Table of Contents,
- 1 Overview
- 2 What Do You Need to Be a Contractor in Texas?
- 3 Electrical Contractor:
- 4 Air Conditioning and Refrigeration Contractor:
- 5 Plumbing Contractor:
- 6 Specialty Contractor (Municipality Level):
- 7 Electrical Contractor License:
- 8 Air Conditioning and Refrigeration Contractor License:
- 9 Plumbing Contractor License:
- 10 How Much Does Texas Contractor License Cost?
- 11 Why Do I Need a Texas Contractor License Bond?
- 12 FAQs
Do you prefer to emerge as a licensed contractor, handyman, or home renovator in Texas – however no longer exactly sure how to get started?
You’re now not alone. There’s a lot of conflicting small print out there, so if you’re now not searching at the proper source, you could end up with the wrong information. Plus, discovering all of the facts you want on a number of government websites can take up time you may no longer have, especially if you’re already constructing your commercial enterprise or are in an education program.
If you are hoping to acquire a contractor’s license in the kingdom of Texas, we are here to assist you get started. Depending on what type of contractor work you graph to enter into, the rules vary.
In the nation of Texas, you are required to attain a kingdom license if you are trying to work as an area of expertise contractor. This consists of authorities such as HVAC technicians, plumbers, and electricians.
The country of Texas does no longer require universal contractors to adhere to any state-level regulations. However, they are required to meet requirements in their neighborhood jurisdictions. For many Texas cities, this includes the successful completion of an ICC exam.
What Do You Need to Be a Contractor in Texas?
Requirements, fees, and who problems your license will differ depending on which type of license you need. The records outline the more than a few Texas contractor license requirements, as well as the fundamental steps in the contractor registration process.
- Determine the Type of Texas Contractor License You Need
There are more than one kinds of Texas contractor licenses, so the first step is figuring out which one you need. Ultimately, the license you require will depend on the type of work you choose to do and your municipality.
Install, hold or lengthen electrical wiring structures in, on, outside or attached to a building, residence, structure, property, or premises. There are countless sorts of enterprise and man or woman electrical licenses, amongst them:
- Master Electrician
- Residential wireman
For a full list of electrical license types, visit the TDLR electricians licensing website.
Note: Texas holds a reciprocity agreement with the states of Arkansas, Idaho, Montana, Nebraska, New Mexico, Oklahoma, South Dakota, and Wyoming.
Air Conditioning and Refrigeration Contractor:
Install, hold and repair HVAC systems. This consists of environmental air conditioning systems, procedure heating or cooling systems, commercial refrigeration systems, or commercial refrigeration equipment. There are two training of licenses:
Class A – permits a contractor to work on any sized HVAC unit.
Class B – lets in a contractor to work on cooling gadgets 25 tons or less and on heating systems 1.5 million BTUs per hour and under.
Both of these licenses can also solely have one endorsement (environmental air conditioning, business refrigeration, or manner cooling and heating). For endorsement details, go to the TDLR air conditioning and refrigeration licensing website.
Note: Reciprocity licensing agreements are in vicinity with the nation of Georgia and South Carolina. They are also regarded on a case-by-case basis.
Install, keep and restore pipes, fittings, and other apparatuses of water supply, sanitation, and heating systems. Several licensing ranges are accessible for plumbing, including:
- Master Plumber
- Tradesman Plumber-Limited
- Plumbing Inspector
For more details on plumbing license types, visit the TSBPE plumbing licensing website.
Note: Reciprocity is regarded on a case-by-case basis.
Specialty Contractor (Municipality Level):
Duties include roofing, landscape, home improvement, and more. Please visit your municipality’s internet site or your nearby improvement services department for more records on regularly occurring contractor licenses, home improvement contractor licenses, residential building contractor licenses, and other area of expertise contractor licenses.
- Find Who Issues Your Contractors License
In the nation of Texas, some contractor licenses are issued on a state level, whilst others are administered via local municipalities.
The Texas Department of Licensing and Registration (TLDR) is responsible for the licensing of electricians.
Air Conditioning and Refrigeration License:
This kingdom license is additionally issued thru the Texas Department of Licensing and Registration (TLDR). It is once in a while referred to as an HVAC license or AC and refrigeration license.
The Texas State Board of Plumbing Examiners (TSBPE) is in cost of licensing of plumbers.
- Specialty License or General Contractor License:
Specialty contractor licenses such as roofing, building, landscape, etc. are issued at the municipal stage and are a problem to regulations, requirements, and license fees exceeded through personal cities. Some Texas cities may additionally now not require any licensing.
- Complete All Requirements and Obtain Required Documents
Please notice that municipalities will have their very own customary contractor record and ID needs, however many of the necessities below are part of the process.
Electrical Contractor License:
- Depending on the electrical contractor license for which you are applying, you have to meet certain standards for hours on the job, or exhibit proof of keeping any other kind of electrical license for a minimum of 2 years. Include your employment history in the application.
- Criminal history should be indicated when making use of an electrical license. Complete and connect a Criminal History Questionnaire for every offense, if any. If you are concerned that your crook history may want to prevent you from receiving your license, observe for a Criminal History Evaluation Letter for an evaluation.
- If you have ever had an occupational license, registration, or certification suspended, revoked, or denied, you must fill in the Disciplinary Action Questionnaire for every disciplinary action.
- Licensing options might also be available to navy service members, navy veterans, or navy spouses. Complete the Military Service Member, Military Veteran or Military Spouse Supplemental Application.
- The software has to be completed, typed or printed in black ink, and signed by using the applicant. All connected files should be submitted on separate portions of single-sided, A4 paper. Pages should be paper clipped together, along with the payment at the top. Do not staple together.
Note: Requirements and documents may additionally range slightly, relying on the electrical contractor license you are making use of for.
Air Conditioning and Refrigeration Contractor License:
- You need to meet each education and experience requirements. In the past 72 months, you need to have 48 months of practical experience in HVAC-related work under the supervision of a licensed air conditioning and refrigeration contractor. OR if you’ve had a technician certificate for at least a year, 36 months of trip in the previous 48 months. This needs to be documented in an Experience Verification form.
- If you have ever had an occupational license, registration, or certification suspended, revoked, or denied, you ought to fill in the Disciplinary Action Questionnaire for every disciplinary action.
- A background check will be conducted. Fill out a Criminal History Questionnaire for each offense, if any. If you are concerned that your criminal history ought to affect your license, apply for a Criminal History Evaluation Letter for an evaluation.
- You need to meet insurance requirements with commercial regular legal responsibility insurance that covers property damage, bodily injury, and aggregates for merchandise and completed operations. Later down the road if you figure out to turn your contracting into a small business, different insurance plan insurance might also be required, such as workers’ compensation insurance.
Note: Requirements and documents may additionally range slightly, depending on the air conditioning and refrigeration contractor license you are applying for.
Plumbing Contractor License:
- Depending on the plumbing license for which you are applying, you are required to meet a certain quantity of hours on the job. Fill out the Employer’s Certification Form and connect it to your application.
- Fill out a Criminal History Questionnaire for every offense, if any. If you are concerned that your criminal records may want to have an effect on your license, follow for a Criminal History Evaluation Letter for an evaluation.
- You have to fill out an examination software form relying on the plumbing license you are making use of for. Certain requirements may also apply, such as accrued hours of experience working, a legitimate diploma or GED, proof of U. S. citizenship or everlasting residence.
Note: Requirements and archives may additionally vary slightly, depending on the plumbing contractor license you are applying for.
- Submiting Your Contractor License Application & Fees
Once you have gathered the required archives and crammed out your application, the subsequent step is submitting the software and corresponding fees.
How Much Does Texas Contractor License Cost?
License costs vary per enterprise and may additionally now not consist of municipal fees.
Electrical Contractor License:
- Journeyman – $30 non-refundable software fee, $74 examination fee
- Master – $45 non-refundable application fee, $74 examination fee
- Criminal History Evaluation Letter (Optional) $25
Air Conditioning and Refrigeration Contractor License:
Class A & Class B – $115 non-refundable utility fee
Plumber Contractor License:
- Journeyman – $40 non-refundable examination fee, $40 license fee
- Master – $175 non-refundable examination fee, $75 license fee
- Tradesman Plumber-Limited – $36 non-refundable examination fee, $35 license fee
- Plumbing Inspector – $55 non-refundable examination fee, $55 license fee
- Get a Texas Contractor License Bond
General contractors in Texas are often required to get a bond prior to being issued a permit or license to operate.
The amount of the bond varies depending on the region and the type of work you will be doing. Most contractor license bonds in the country are between $5,000 and $25,000.
To get bonded, you ought to pay a top rate that is equal to a fraction of the full amount of your bond. Typically, applicants with excellent financials and a high credit score are offered premiums in the range of 0.75% and 5% of the complete bond amount.
Why Do I Need a Texas Contractor License Bond?
A Texas surety bond exists to guard the entities you work with. A contractor bond is a kind of insurance plan that protects your purchasers and municipality. It is required to ensure you will complete any shrunk work and lift out that work in accordance to constructing codes and any different local regulations.
- Does the state of Texas have a state-level license for the general contractors?
No, the state of Texas does not have any state-level license requirements for general contractors. However, there are requirements on the nearby level, and they differ by city. Make sure to research the local requirements in your area.
- Where do one take the exam?
There are several computer-based checking out centers around the country where you can take the exam. In addition, the ICC has special proctoring software that permits you to schedule and take your examination online.
- Where can one find the books for the official ICC exam?
You can discover the books you want for successful examination guidance from our store.
- Which exam should I be studying for?
Type 1: General Contractors License – Class A (F11 Exam)
This type of license is bendy and approves you to work on numerous distinctive types of projects. With this license, you’ll be capable to build, repair, construct, demolish or add on to any building or structure. It will enable you to work on each commercial and residential building.
Type 2: Building Contractor License – Class B (F12 Exam)
This type of license is first-rate ideal for industrial building work. The Class B license will let you build, repair, construct, demolish, or add on to commercial structures and residential structures that are three tales or less and single or multi-unit.
Type 3: Residential Contractor – Class C (F13 Exam)
This kind of license is for you if your enterprise is centered typically on residential buildings. The Class C license approves you to build, remodel, repair, construct, or demolish single-family or two-family homes and accent buildings.
Other: You might also require a unique contractor’s license that falls outside of these three fundamental types, relying on your discipline of work. Some frequent specialties include plumbing, electrical work, sign and maintenance, gasoline properly work, etc.
- How difficult is the exam?
Some sorts of ICC exams might be extra challenging than others. It relies upon how comprehensive the exam is. We will assist you strengthen a study method that fits the way you learn.